· By John Doe
7 Awesome Free Vocoder VST Plugins for Mac and Windows
The Best Vocoder Plugins:
Here is an awesome list of the 7 best free vocoder VST/AU plugins for Windows and Mac ! You want to make some robotic voice effects and speech synthesis ? Get one of those free vocoder VST and start generate powerful robotic harmonies and design your own unique vocal effects!
But first, what is a Vocoder?
“A vocoder (/ˈvoʊkoʊdər/, short for voice encoder) is a category of voice codec that analyzes and synthesizes the human voice signal for audio data compression, multiplexing, voice encryption, voice transformation. The vocoder has also been used extensively as an electronic musical instrument . The decoder portion of the voice encoder, called a voder, can be used independently for speech synthesis.
Source : Wikipedia
The 7 Free Vocoder VSTi:
1 – AC vocoder:
This basic voice encoder modulates the input signal with tones. Perfcet simple plugin for voice / distortion. AC vocoder was developped by Aaron Cavanaugh (Visit the author’s website).
Download the Windows plug-in (2427.4 KB):
2 – BufferOverride 2.0
Buffer Override edit the host application buffer and plays with as with a rubber band. The result is a distortion sound that sounds like a Vocoder or a weird drum machine sound. Furthermore, in some hosts, you can also “play” Buffer Override via MIDI notes and even sync it to song tempo.
Visit the author’s site: Destroy FX
Download the VST:
3 – Voctopus
Next one is Voctopus VST, an 8 bands vocoder with integrated synthesizer that was made with SynthEdit.
- Any type of audio file can be chosen as Carrier and Modulating
- 8-band filter with 8 attack, Decay
- Separate volume control for modulating and carrier
- Control Dry / Wet
- 2 x dual oscillator with dual detune
- Waves Sine, saw, triangle and square
- Octave, semitone and fine tuning
- Modular white noise generator or 2 per oscillator with high-pass filter
- Ring modulation
Download the Windows plug-in (1490.25 KB):
4 – Mini Voctopus
In addition to Voctopus, SoundBox released a basic version of his 8 bands Voice encoder made with SynthEdit, Mini Voctopus.
Use any audio as the modulator and any audio as the carrier, 8 Band filter bank with attack, decay and extra carrier gain, Seperate modulator and carrier volume controls, Pan, Dry/wet control.
Download the Windows plug-in in zip format (948.54 Kb):
Mini Voctopus in use :
5 – Trash Coder
TrashCoder is a small but interesting vocoder capable of producing warm analog type sounds as well as rough metalic ones.
TrashCoder simulates analog filters that can be controlled in different ways. Filter banks (shapers) are used to generate classical sounds such as morphing robot voices but also less traditional, more chopped, sounds.
- Works in real time
- Each VST track can be used in Carrier or modulating
- Modulator cutoff frequency
Download the Windows plug-in version (36.74 KB)
6 -Talk Box by MDA:
Talkbox is a high resolution voice encoder. It is not as complete as the other vocoders in this list, but you can get some great sounds out of it if you experiment. Especially relevant if you like to use a range of vocoders on various vocal samples or bass sounds for example. It gives a nice natural sound, less metallic than the others plugins here !
Download the plug-in (1242.02 KB):
The download includes 30 plugins including this one.
7 – TAL-Vocoder by Togu Audio Line
TAL-Vocoder is a vintage voice encoder emulation with 11 bands that emulates the sound of vocoders from the early 80’s.
This voice encoder is optimized for voice processing and includes some algorithms for consonants to make the voice more intelligible. The carrier signal is a VCO (Voltage Controlled Oscillator) with a Pulse, Saw, Noise and SubOsc. Key features:
- 11 band vocoder engine.
- Internal carrier synth (pulse, saw, sub osc, noise, mono, poly, portamento, sync mode, tune).
- Harmonic control (adds more harmonics to any carrier signal)
- “Ess” enhancer for a clean understandable voice, also with a carrier that hasnt much high frequencies.
Other Great Free Vocoders:
- Vocovee by g200kg (Windows) – A VST ‘Effect’ version of the VOCOV Voice encoder
- Sonicism vintage vocoder DX (Windows) – a DirectX plugin
- Vocoder by MDA – Switchable 8 or 16 band vocoder with separate “VocInput” plug-in
- Plogue | Alter/Ego :: Real-time singing synthesizer
I hope you’ll appreciate this ! If you know any other great vocoder plugins, just leave a comment!
Premium Voice Encoders at PluginBoutique :